I’m out of breath because I’m so excited for the draft to begin. I just finished my design of technically my “third” mock draft. As the combine has come to an end, I have researched the data and have changed up my mock draft yet again. Here are the results.
|1.) Cincinnati Bengals||Joe Burrow (QB/LSU)|
|2.) Washington Redskins||Chase Young (DE/Ohio State)|
|3.) Detroit Lions||Jeffery Okudah (CB/Ohio State)|
|4.) New York Giants||Mehki Becton (OT/Louisville)|
|5.) Miami Dolphins||Tua Tagovailoa (QB/Alabama)|
|6.) Los Angeles Chargers||Justin Herbert (QB/Oregon)|
|7.) Carolina Panthers||Isaiah Simmons (LB/Clemson)|
|8.) Arizona Cardinals||Tristan Wirfs (OT/Iowa)|
|9.) Jacksonville Jaguars||Derrick Brown (DT/Auburn)|
|10.) Cleveland Browns||Jedrick Wills (OT/Alabama)|
|11.) New York Jets`||Andrew Thomas (OT/Georgia)|
|12.) Las Vegas Raiders||Jerry Jeudy (WR/Alabama)|
|13.) Indianapolis Colts||CeeDee Lamb (WR/Oklahoma)|
|14.) Tampa Bay Buccaneers||Javon Kinlaw (DT/South Carolina)|
|15.) Denver Broncos||Henry Ruggs III (WR/Alabama)|
|16.) Atlanta Falcons||K’Lavon Chaisson (DE/LSU)|
|17.) Dallas Cowboys||Kristian Fulton (CB/LSU)|
|18.) Miami Dolphins||A.J. Epenesa (DE/Iowa)|
|19.) Las Vegas Raiders||Kenneth Murray (LB/Oklahoma)|
|20.) Jacksonville Jaguars||C.J. Henderson (CB/Florida)|
|21.) Philadelphia Eagles||Denzel Mims (WR/Baylor)|
|22.) Buffalo Bills||Justin Jefferson (WR/LSU)|
|23.) New England Patriots||Xavier McKinney (S/Alabama)|
|24.) New Orleans Saints||Jordan Love (QB/Utah State)|
|25.) Minnesota Vikings||A.J. Terrell (CB/Clemson)|
|26.) Miami Dolphins||D’Andre Swift (RB/Georgia)|
|27.) Seattle Seahawks||Trevon Diggs (CB/Alabama)|
|28.) Baltimore Ravens||Patrick Queen (LB/LSU)|
|29.) Tennessee Titans||Yetur Gross-Matos (DE/PSU)|
|30.) Green Bay Packers||Tee Higgins (WR/Clemson)|
|31.) San Francisco 49ers||Grant Delpit (S/LSU)|
|32.) Kansas City Chiefs||Jonathan Taylor (RB/Wisconsin)|
Who Picked Who and Why?
1.) Cincinnati – Why Joe Burrow?
- The rumors of Joe Burrow not wanting to be drafted by Cincy have apparently subsided. With this knowledge. there should be no reason why the Bengals wouldn’t select Joe Burrow as the number one pick of this draft.
2.) Washington – Why Chase Young?
- The Redskins have the opportunity to take quite possibly the best prospect in this entire draft class. With Ron Rivera as the head coach with that defensive mindset, there is no way they don’t take him here.
3.) Detroit – Why Jeffery Okudah?
- There have been developing stories of Detroit looking to acquire Tua in the draft. That is a bunch of poppycock. The Lions are trying to acquire trade interest from teams like Miami and Los Angeles. Whether someone trades up or not, the Lions will end up with Jeffery Okudah.
4.) New York (G) – Why Mekhi Becton?
- Becton was a lot lower on my list in my last mock draft, but after his combine, he soars all the way to the fourth pick by the Giants. His combine surely was a huge part of his rise with a 40 yard dash time of 5.1 seconds and a bench press of 23 reps. This is a huge reason why New York should draft him as he would look to be elite on that offensive line.
5.) Miami – Why Tua Tagovailoa?
- Everybody wants to move Herbert up to this spot, but come on now. Tua would be the most logical choice to put here given he can be redshirted his first year and sit behind Ryan Fitzpatrick to learn from a veteran. This shouldn’t be a conversation. It should be Tua.
6.) Los Angeles (C) – Why Justin Herbert?
- Speaking of Herbert, nothing changes for me here as I believe with Philip Rivers not coming back and Tyrod Taylor being their starting quarterback that Justin herbert will be their choice for the future in Los Angeles. The kid also really well in the combine which only helps him.
7.) Carolina – Why Isaiah Simmons?
- Now I know that Carolina needs defensive help bad especially on the line, but something tells me with how defensive tackles are picked in the draft that Brown will go a little bit longer to be picked. Enter Isaiah Simmons who excelled in the combine and was a huge pick even before that. Draft him to fill that Keuchly spot quickly.
8.) Arizona – Why Tristan Wirfs?
- While Wills might still be regarded as the best tackle in the draft, Wirfs had an incredible combine workout that might see him rise a few spots to the Cardinals. He posted a crazy 4.85 second 40 time, had 24 reps on the bench press, had a 36.5 vertical jump, a 121 broad jump, a 7.65 three-cone drill, and finally a 4.68 20 yard shuttle time. This kid is gonna do great.
9.) Jacksonville – Why Derrick Brown?
- Jacksonville is in a huge spot similar to last year when they took Josh Allen as now Derrick Brown falls into their lap with the first of two first-round picks. He would bring a powerful resurgence to a dwindling “Sacksonville” defense.
10.) Cleveland – Why Jedrick Wills?
- Cleveland gets a huge boost in the offensive tackle department with Jedrick Wills. The Alabama product would be an essential pickup for the Browns to get to protect Baker Mayfield so he doesn’t screw up and ruin their season…or was it the coaching…who knows at this point?
11.) New York (J) – Why Andrew Thomas?
- The Jets are in desperate need to build this offensive line so they don’t waste the career of Sam Darnold and the talent of Le’Veon Bell. Thomas is still regarded as one of the best tackles in this draft so pick him and roll with him.
12.) Las Vegas – Why Jerry Jeudy?
- Now I know for my last two mocks I had CeeDee Lamb here, but something just tells me the Raiders are gonna go the other way and take possibly the number one wideout in this class with Jerry Jeudy. Either he or Lamb would work in this spot, but the more I think about it, they will probably select Jeudy.
13.) Indianapolis – Why CeeDee Lamb?
- With Jeudy off the board, the plan might change originally from the Colts draft perspective. They really could use help at wideout so draft Lamb and put him alongside T.Y. Hilton to help whatever quarterback comes into play for Indy. Whether that be Winston, Rivers, or even Brady, they would enjoy having this kid on their team.
14.) Tampa Bay – Why Javon Kinlaw?
- Nothing changes here as Tampa Bay takes the best defensive player available in their spot in the draft. Kinlaw would be a huge piece to an already established Todd Bowel defense. Put him in and watch him work.
15.) Denver – Why Henry Ruggs III?
- This would be a pairing in the making. Ruggs shocked everyone with his incredible 40-yard time, but he made himself a name with his overall combine performance as well. The Broncos need to take advantage and draft him with Jeudy and Lamb both off the board.
16.) Atlanta – Why K’Lavon Chaisson?
- Atlanta should stay their course in my mocks and take Chaisson who is a huge prospect in this draft. The rookie pass rusher could bring some new life into an at times struggling Atlanta defense that is constantly riddled with injuries.
17.) Dallas – Why Kristian Fulton?
- A lot of people want to look at safety here and I get it. I had a safety here for my last two picks, but with probably losing Byron Jones in free agency and not having as much money to get other free agents, the best thing would be to draft cornerback Kristian Fulton and get that secondary some help.
18.) Miami – Why A.J. Epenesa?
- Many might question two things. One, how does he fall this low? Two, why draft him instead of a desperate need for offensive tackle? Something just tells me Chaisson has a better chance of falling to Atlanta and Miami surprisingly I feel is more desperate for an edge rusher than offensive tackle so get them the best available.
19.) Las Vegas – Why Kenneth Murray?
- I’ve had him here since my first mock and I’m not giving up on it now. Kenneth Murray in my mind is the best linebacker here when Isaiah Simmons exits the board. You can make an argument for Patrick Queen here, but I think Murray brings a more positive attitude and ability with huge praise on culture for the Raiders. This just seems like a no brainer for me.
20.) Jacksonville – Why C.J. Henderson?
- Jacksonville goes on and grabs the second-best corner in this draft class with Henderson. You can make the argument that his 40 time makes him more valuable of a pick, but it all comes down to the ability and where he goes. With him going to Jacksonville, I think you finally find the replacement for Ramsey.
21.) Philadelphia – Why Denzel Mims?
- This is a bit of a surprise pick to most, but I was very impressed with the Baylor wide receiver at the combine. His stock took a huge step in the right direction with some of the numbers he put up. He had 4.38 40 time, a 38.5 vertical jump, a 131 broad jump, a 6.66 three-cone drill, and a 4.43 shuttle run. Something compiled with those stats makes me think he’d be a perfect fit for Philly.
22.) Buffalo – Why Justin Jefferson?
- I was a big fan of Justin Jefferson coming off his last season in LSU, and I think he would be an absolutely perfect fit for Buffalo. They need that last weapon for Josh Allen to really show off his stuff. So pair him with Cole Beasley and John Brown and you have an even better offense ready to roll.
23.) New England – Why Xavier McKinney?
- With rumors of Brady leaving and a veteran quarterback possibly coming in and taking over and the confidence in Stiddam, it just seems weird to take a quarterback here. So let’s focus elsewhere particularly the safety position. McCourty is hitting free agency so take McKinney who is arguably the best safety available.
24.) New Orleans – Why Jordan Love?
- This is Drew Brees’s last year in New Orleans. Teddy Bridgewater is leaving. That leaves Taysom Hill who the Saints have said he can be a franchise quarterback. I just don’t buy it. Draft Love who is the best quarterback available and have the two fight it out next season for the start job.
25.) Minnesota – Why A.J. Terrell?
- Most would consider Terrell a little high on this, but it just seems unlikely that the Vikings would draft Trevon Diggs when Stefon Diggs wants out of Minnesota. it would be a little bit of salt in the wound if that occurred. Terrell is still a really good corner and having Zimmer coach him could make him even better.
26.) Miami – Why D’Andre Swift?
- Swift just makes sense here. He is the best running back in the draft and the Miami running game last year was horrendous. When Ryan Fitzpatrick is your lead rusher for the season there is a problem. Be smart and get the best running back available.
27.) Seattle – Why Trevon Diggs?
- You could go either tackle or secondary here because both are awful. If I was drafting for the Seahawks, I would make a grab for Trevon Diggs who could flourish in a Pete Carroll defense and try to make it so Russell Wilson doesn’t have to save them every single game.
28.) Baltimore – Why Patrick Queen?
- This is a no brainer decision for me. Baltimore needs help with the linebacker position and both Simmons and Murray are both off the board. Take Patrick Queen who would be a huge help to a decent, but not great Baltimore defense.
29.) Tennessee – Why Yetur Gross-Matos?
- I’m giving Gross-Matos another shot here in the first round here. The Penn State product should find a great home in Tennessee trying to build up that defense even more than it already is. Having him on the edge would definitely bring some fresh life into an already established unit.
30.) Green Bay – Why Tee Higgins?
- Higgins fell a lot here in the mocks due to some injury concern, but overall if you are Green Bay you need to take the best wideout available to give Aaron Rodgers a weapon. Adams is really the only one Rodgers throws to because everybody else just isn’t getting it done. Couple that with the fact that Jimmy Graham hits free agency and this just makes sense.
31.) San Francisco – Why Grant Delpit?
- If you are the 49ers, your mouth is watering over the fact that Grant Delpit has fallen to you in the draft. This pick would be unavoidable at this point given the fact that Jimmy Ward is set to hit free agency and the 49ers might not have the money to pay him. Getting Delpit at this spot would be incredible.
32.) Kansas City – Why Jonathan Taylor?
- There is more than a good chance that the Chiefs trade out of this spot, but if they don’t they should draft the next best running back in this draft; Jonathan Taylor. With Shady McCoy maybe not coming back and Damien Williams subject to injuries, this seems like the best solution for Kansas City.